Crimes and Punishment Research Essay Assignment/Rubric
Crimes and Punishment Research Essay
You will write a brief informative research essay where you will choose a crime that is common today and was common in the 16th century. You will compare and contrast the 16th century punishments to current punishments for that crime. Research for the paper will be done in class. This is major grade and will be due on Friday, Feb. 21st!
Step 1: Research
- You will conduct a short research project that will compare and contrast punishments for one crime that will draw on several sources. (Standard W7.7)
- You will gather relevant information from multiple sources, using search terms effectively; and paraphrase the data and conclusions of others while avoiding plagiarism. You are required to use MLA format to cite your sources. You must have at least two sources (one book, one website) and a works cited page. (Standard W 7.8)
- You will be given a graphic organizer to help you with your research.
Step 2: The Essay
- You will develop a flowchart that will help you to produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose and audience. (Standard W 7.4)
- You will write an informative/explanatory essay that conveys the information through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content, your research (Standard W 7.2). Your essay should have an introduction,three body paragraphs, a conclusion, and a works cited page and must follow the Schaffer model of writing and the conventions of Standard American English.
- The paper should meet the following format requirements:
§ The essay should be 1-2 pages in length.
§ The essay should have an introduction, body, and conclusion.
§ The paper should have the student’s name in the top right-hand corner.
§ If typed, the paper should be 12 font, Times New Roman, double-spaced.
§ The paper should include proper citation for research.
§ The paper should have 2 sources—one book, one website.
Points will be taken off if you do not meet the format requirements.
Computer problems and printer excuses will not be accepted! If it is not turned in on time for whatever reason, it is still late.