Survivor Canada Assignment
You will be creating a survival guide for someone who will be traveling to the Canadian wilderness and may need the information it contains. While completing this project, think about what information Brian from Hatchet could have used to help him survive.
Step 1: Research
- You will conduct research on three topics pertaining to survival (Standard 7W-2).
- You will gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, using search terms effectively; assess credibility and accuracy of each source; and paraphrase the data and conclusions of others while avoiding plagiarism and following a standard format for citation (Standard 7W-2.1 b,d,h,i). You are required to have three sources.
- Some ideas for information to research include: how to survive plane crash, how to survive eating in the wild, how to survive an animal attack, descriptions of the kinds of plant and wildlife in that habitat, how to build a shelter, or how to build a fire.
Step 2: Writing
- You will write three informative texts (one paragraph each) to examine a topic using the following text structures: sequence/process, description, compare/contrast (Standards 7RI-8.2, 7W-2 c).
- You will need to develop each topic with relevant facts and examples (Standard 7W-2.1f).
- Students should demonstrate command of conventions of Standard English grammar and usage in their writing (Standard 7W 4/5).
Step 3: Creating the Survival Guide
Your guide must contain the following:
· A creative cover with a title and your name made out of your choice of materials (cloth, construction paper, waterproof plastic, etc).
· Table of Contents
· Three pages of informative text
o Each page must be one of the following text structures: sequence/process, description, and compare/contrast. All three text structures should be used.
o Each page must contain information on survival that is at least one paragraph long.
o Each page will have one in-text citation.
o Each page must have a title
o Each page should have a picture (or maps, charts, tables, or graphs) with a caption (Standard 7RI-8.2).
o Each page should have one word highlighted for the glossary
· A glossary with three words from your writing. Words are defined and in alphabetical order.
· A works cited page with three sources cited in proper MLA Format.
The contents of the survival guide should be in the order as listed above.
This project will count as a MAJOR grade, so please do your best work. The rubric for the project will be given out. We will spend several days in class working on the project. The project will be due Friday, April 7thth Printer/Computer excuses will not be accepted.